Working past 65 checklist
Even if you plan to continue working, there are steps you should take before you turn 65 to prepare for Medicare enrollment.
If you get health coverage through your employer, union, or trust fund, use this checklist to help you confidently choose the right Kaiser Permanente plan for you, meet your enrollment deadlines, and avoid costly penalties.
You can download and print out this checklist♦ and keep it handy.
Let's get started: Mark your calendar with your Special Enrollment Period
Your group health plan Special Enrollment Period is the first time you can enroll in a Medicare health plan once you retire. This 8-month period starts when your employment ends or when your group coverage ends—whichever comes first.
4-6 months before you turn 65
- Learn about Medicare basics. It's important to know what to look for in a plan and how Medicare star quality ratings can help you compare plans.* Watch our helpful online videos, including "Medicare Part B Simplified" and "Group Medicare: 4 Simple Steps."
- Not a Kaiser Permanente Medicare health plan member, but want to enroll with us once you do retire? Ask your benefits administrator how to enroll in a Kaiser Permanente Medicare health plan.
3 months before you turn 65
- Contact Social Security and request your Medicare card. You'll need the information on your Medicare card to enroll in a Kaiser Permanente Medicare health plan—and it can take up to 2 months to receive it.
- Tell your benefits administrator that you plan to continue working past 65. Also, explore your Medicare health plan options and see if there are any requirements you must complete before you turn 65.
- Find out if your organization requires you to sign up for Medicare Part B when you turn 65—even if you're staying on your current Kaiser Permanente health plan.
*Every year, Medicare evaluates plans based on a 5-star rating system.
♦You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader† to read this file.
†Kaiser Permanente is not responsible for the content of policies of external Internet sites.
Speak with a Kaiser Permanente Medicare specialist. Call toll free 1-855-219-7320 (TTY 711) 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., 7 days a week.