Plan ahead with our Turning 65 Checklist
4-6 months before turning 65
3 months before turning 65
You can apply for Medicare starting 3 months before your 65th birthday. As soon as possible, you should contact Social Security to:
- Confirm your eligibility for Medicare Parts A & B
- Request your Medicare card so you can begin the enrollment process
- Determine when you need to enroll in Medicare Part B
You can contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, or visit your local Social Security office.
If you’re interested in a Medicare health plan for group members
- Learn about your Kaiser Permanente Medicare health plan options. For information, go to your organization’s benefits website, see your enrollment materials, or contact your organization’s benefits administrator. When you’re ready to enroll, start here.
If you’re interested in a Medicare health plan for individuals
At age 65
- Enroll in a Kaiser Permanente Medicare health plan anytime within the month of your 65th birthday and the 3 months after.
- If you retire and enroll past your eligibility period, you may have to pay a late enrollment penalty. This may not apply if you have group coverage past age 65.
- Covered by a group plan past 65? You may still qualify for Medicare. We can help you enroll in a Kaiser Permanente Medicare health plan. Just call 1-855-223-3679 (TTY 711), 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., 7 days a week.
NEXT: Watch our videos
♦You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader† to read this file.
†Kaiser Permanente is not responsible for the content or policies of external Internet sites.
Speak with a Kaiser Permanente Medicare specialist. Call toll free 1-855-223-3679 (TTY 711), 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., 7 days a week.